Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Kelly!

This narrative comes to you from Motion Left's treasurer, Kelly Crowder.  Kelly is not only a wicked hair stylist, but she is also a wonderful lady and very quickly becoming one of my favorite people.
Enjoy!


For as long as I can remember, probably about 8 or 9, I've wanted two things; a vespa scooter and a purple gremlin. I wanted to be self-sufficent enough to work on them my self and do complete restorations. I don't really remember where the fascination came from.

So about 8 years ago I worked at the Daily Grind in Elkhart. I met Devin there. I thought he was the most interesting person I've ever met. He came in there almost everyday, several times a day and we would talk about all kinds of things. One day he told me about mopeds, and that his brother had got one and how awesome they were and some of his friends would ride together. I asked him if I had a Vespa, if I could ride with them. He said no, because mopeds DO NOT ride with scooters. I told him that was stupid, but I was very interested in seeing his bike. About a year or so later he had his clubhouse and he showed me all these crazy old mopeds. I found a new interest. I fell in love with Puch Maxis.

By then, I was getting married and my soon-to-be-husband wanted me to have no part in mopeds and he would buy me a Vespa and a motorcycle, none of which he did. First big purchase after my divorce, my Maxi.

There is nothing like riding a moped. The first time I rode one, it felt like I was born to do it. I smile everytime I think about them. They aren't too fast, so you can really see your surroundings, and they omit the most wonderful smell. It makes my heart race. I have had many epiphanies while riding. They are a great way to learn small engine repair. As much as I hate to admit it, I love working on them. I have cried so many times in frustration, but it is always worth it just to get back on and ride.

Now, the Moped Army, that's another story. I love the Moped Army. I have met some of my favorite people of my life here. I don't know what I would do if I had to leave it. I have spent the last 2 years of free weekends at rallies or just meeting up randomly. I wish I would have done this when I wanted to years ago, but it's better late then never.

No comments:

Post a Comment