Tuesday, February 2, 2010

DYLAN!!! (September 14, 2009)

Keeping in the tradition of posting my branch members' narratives, this one comes from Dylan Chubb who, incidentally, is becoming one of my best friends and whom I love with all my heart.  He's the youngest member of Motion Left and possibly one of the nicest, most sincere people I have ever met.

I'm not editing this at all as I really like picking on his grammar and spelling.

Enjoy!



Well, ever since i was 10 all i ever wanted was an old vespa scooter. On 2/17/07 at the age of 15 i finally got my hands on my first ever scooter, a red beat to hell piece of crap Yamaha Jog for the awesome price of $25. Within a month i was making my own high flow filters and drilling the baffles out of the exhaust trying to get every last MPH i could. A few months passed and i bought a 92 Honda Elite and learned about Big Bore kit, performance exhaust and general 2 stroke tuning.
A year later i was living in scooter tuning heaven, i had honda elites, chines scooters, and i was buying/selling 24/7. Around the middle of 2008 a friend emailed me some info on this 'Kalamazoo Moped Rally'. So me and a few friends loaded up our scooters and went to check out this crazy event. We got there and realized quickly that our scooter are hated by the moped army. Looking around all i saw was a bunch of snobs and hipsters, and all they saw in me was some kid on a scooter trying to fit in. Lucky for me, Matt Schmitz jumped in and helped me understand the moped army. He explained to me for hours all about mopeds, moped culture and answered every question i could throw at him.
I headed home after the rally and found myself a moped right away. First bike was an 84 Trac Image, Shortly followed by the 91 Tomos Targa that everybody has seen me ride. I have been buying, selling and trading mopeds and scooter for about a year now. I have traded off all but one of my scooters, moving to mostly mopeds.
After the first rally, i wasn't to happy with the moped community. Seemed like everybody hated me just because i rode 10in wheels instead of 14-17in's. However, as time went on i realized that they didn't hate me because the scooter, they just general dislike 'scooter people'. People who buy a brand new bike, and take it in to be repaired for small problems instead of fixing the bikes themselves. Plus, even being a total outsider at the next few rallies, i had a blast. For the most part everybody is very welcoming and nice. I know i dont really fit the moped community, but its still an awesome place to be.

So here i am now, a few bikes later, and with a few Rallies under my belt. Finally starting to make a few moped friends while hanging out awkwardly at Motion Left Mopeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment