Monday, October 5, 2009

Aaron Summers Effler


Here is another brilliant narrative from one of my fellow Motion Lefties.  Aaron is probably one of my favorite people in the universe and his narritive captures the spirit of what it is like to begin the wondrous hobby of Moped collecting...enjoy!


I had been interested in alternative transportation for some time, and was looking for something low-speed and energy efficient for my 1.5 mile commute to work. I considered electric bicycles, scooters, electric cars, and small motorcycles. During my research I spent a lot of time thinking about maintenance, knowing that whichever way I go I'd end up with something that most mechanics don't know what to do with. Something I could maintain myself became a criteria, and considering the kind of mechanical moron I am, I went for the simplest motor I could find (and afford). This landed me squarely at the "vintage moped" doorstep...and the rest is history.

I followed ebay and craigslist for about a month before I found the Motobecane Model 7 (which was my first bike). I didn't know anyone who had a moped at the time, so I found Motion Left Mopeds on moped army's web site, and (figuring this would be my emergency mechanic) called the number to ask whether the bike I found was worth buying and whether the price was right. Devin, who I didn't know yet, said that the price sounded right and if it was already running it wouldn't be too difficult to keep it that way. I loved the bike, and rode it all over the place. Within five months I had started spending some time out at the shop, and had bought another four mopeds with Kolin (who at the time was riding his Vespa P200 on a regular basis). Our original idea was to flip them or part them out, and use the profits to maintain and increase our own moped collections. Instead we've just kept them all...and I turned one of them into my second bike: the Motobecane Model 50V (made from parts and a non-running Model 50L). The Puch Maxi was a bike I found on ebay right after I got my tax return, and just couldn't pass up at that price...

The rest, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment